Tuesday 10 November 2015

Most Haunted Live! – Then and Now

I finally got round to watching Most Haunted Live from Halloween. I was aware of the controversy surrounding some of the events (#ropegate) so was keen to see what all the fuss was about…

I was reminded of my first foray into MHL, 10 years ago on Sat 3rd September 2005 at ‘Cheadle’s Victorian Asylum’. I got places in the audience and was really excited. I was ‘open minded’ back then.

My family didn’t have Sky so had only seen ML and MHL on Freeview channel FTN. These were early episodes where the crew got scared and not much happened. The only live show I’d seen was Dudley Castle where the audience were at the location. I was in for a few surprises…

We were told to collect our tickets from a sports hall outside Manchester and were delighted that Derek Acorah turned-up. That was before phones cameras so didn’t get a selfie with him, unfortunately. I know he has his detractors but he was lovely and spoke to us individually. We went back there for the show. That’s when the illusion of MHL was shattered for me and I realised it was ‘just’ a TV show. 

Firstly, we were herded around like cattle and told if we didn’t get back to our seats during breaks we’d lose our place. We were searched (probably standard practice) and not allowed to take drinks in, it was very hot too*.

I could have coped with all this if it hadn’t been for the fact WE WEREN’T AT THE LOCATION! We were merely there to make the appropriate responses/noises. They weren’t even at an asylum! It was Barnes Convalescence Home which had a much more mundane history.

I know I was probably naive but it was such a disappointment. Over the next few months we had the fakery allegations - Kreed Kafer/Rik Eedles - and Derek left. ML and MHL carried on but it was never the same for me.

So, I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised by MHL 2015 and the subsequent debate. Maybe there isn’t a market for a truly scientific paranormal TV show. From my experiences of ghost hunting it would be quite boring and I would probably be the only one watching. 

We’re all wiser now to media manipulation and the corporate world behind it. A bit like when you realise there’s no Father Christmas and your parents had to max out their credit card to pay for your presents. Sorry kids!

*These criticisms are levelled at the security/event staff not the crew themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment